La Union Islands Philippines
La Union Religious Sites
Ma Cho Temple, La Union
Constructed on September 11, 1975 through the initiative of then Tourism Minister Jose D. Aspiras and cooperation of the Chinese community, this majestic Taoist Temple is located on a hill 70 feet above sea level at Barangay II, San Fernando City, facing the China Sea. Here, people form all walks of life come and pray for change of luck from Ma Cho, a Chinese deity, whose eight inch wooden image surprisingly has a counterpart in the Roman Catholic faith known as the “Virgin of Caysasay” who is enshrined at the Basilica of Saint Martin in Taal, Batangas.
Basilica of Our Lady of Charity, La Union
Situated at the center of the aged town of Agoo, the Basilica of Our Lady of Charity has stood for scores of centuries now as one of the long venerated configurations of the Virgin in the Philippines. It was founded in 1578 when two zealous Franciscan priests, Fray John Baptist Lucarelli of Pesaro, Italy and Fray Sebastian de San Francisco of Baesa, Spain on the time they got in the country for their evangelical mission. The settlement of the Franciscan Order opened the doors to Agoo’s embrace to God’s supremacy over mankind, making the town the first point of contact with Christianity for the Southern Ilocos region.
Our Lady of Namacpacan, La Union
The year 1690 saw the birth of a new town as idyllic in its formation as its name implies. Situated along the fringes of Northern La Union coasting the China Sea, it was named NAMACPACAN to glorify the native trait of hospitality which residents showed towards the people of neighboring towns who retreated to its thick forests when they were persecuted by the colonizers.
St. Michael, the Archangel Parish
Witness the birth of Christianity in the north with one of the oldest churches in La Union, Bacnotan Church was constructed in the period of 1817 to 1819 under the leadership of the Augustinian priests in devotion to St. Michael the Archangel. It was in the year 1887 that the wood and stone convent was finished under the leadership of Fr. Saturnino Pinto and Fr. Bernardo Gonzales.
More La Union Religious Sites .. Next Page ...
Source : LaUnion.gov.ph